Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Roast and Gravy

This is how I make Roast - though it's not really a recipe.

We use the Roast Seasoning Packet that comes with a roasting bag.

I add 1/2 cup or so of water with the seasonings with some Worcestershire sauce. I also sprinkle a little Onion Soup packet in.

I put the sealed bag (with a few little cuts up at the top) in a crockpot for 6-8 hours.

Using the bag makes it easier for clean-up and to use the drippings for gravy.


Basic Brown Gravy (taken from a Rachel Ray Shepherd's Pie Recipe)

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup beef stock or broth (or add drippings from Roast)
2 teaspoons Worcestershire, eyeball it

In a second small skillet over medium heat cook butter and flour together 2 minutes. Whisk in broth and Worcestershire sauce. Thicken gravy 1 minute.

(I've had serious problems making decent gravy. Here's my attempt at what I think has worked. I may tweek this next time I make it. Jimmy encourages me to write down what works and I always forget right when I'm making it. Anyhoo...)

No comments: