Saturday, August 28, 2010

how i freeze fresh peaches

this is definitely not a 'how-to' from Heather... because who knows if I even did it right. But I was-a-wishin' I would have written down my instructions a few years ago when I prepared fresh peaches for freezing ... so here I am doing just that.

Here's the low-down...
i bought a box of peaches at the Thanksgiving Point Farmer's Market for $18.
i probably only used 2/3 of it... so let's say $12-$13 worth.
It took about 4-5 peaches to make 2 cups sliced.
2 cups per quart-size freezer bag x 13 bags = 26 cups
So we'll say about $1 per 2 cups.

First I washed the peaches...

Blanched them by putting them in boiling water for 30 sec - 1 min. Then immediately put them in ice water to stop them from cooking. Hannah helped peel the peaches. What a lifesaver that girl is!

Then I sliced and cubed those slippery peaches. (for future reference... we like the cubed much better.  It seems like I generally cut up the sliced ones.  But sliced would work better for cobbler probably)

I put 1 - 1.5 cups sugar & 2 Tblsp of Fruit Fresh for about 6 cups worth. (one of my white tupperware size bowls). It seemed to make it's own little sauce from the liquid in the peaches. I like it that way - little saucy but not too much.

Then I put 2 cups in each bag and laid them flat in the freezer. Wah-lah. I'm so excited to use these on crepes, scandinavian fruit soup, cobbler, etc ALL WINTER LONG!

No comments: